Sunday 28 August 2011

True Story: The maths genius who got a bean stuck in his ear.

He will hate me for this, so lets not make the future worse and call him by a fake name. JB, again.

Once upon a time, when he was about 8, he was doing work in his room, and I was elsewhere.
He recently made a rainmaker in school, one of those long used toilet roll filled with beans and the ends taped together.
I think it was the boredom, but he decided to empty the rainmaker. He probably sorted the beans into groups or something.

So, unfortunatley, no one was there to witness this first hand, but he put a red bean in his ear.



He put a red bean in his ear.



Probably, attempting to retrieve the bean from his ear, he used a cotton bud. That only made it worse. The bean only got further in his ear.

We tried vacuuming it out, we literally put a vacuum against his ear but that came to no avail.

So we went to sleep for that day, ignoring that there was a red bean in his ear.

Then my dad came home from work, we had called him earlier about the bean in the ear, and attempted to pick it out. But that was a fail too, so they went to the hospital together.


I just went along with my normal life, went to school, and tried to keep it a secret.
All my friends knew about it by first break, I was torn between amusement and sympathy.


He was put on the waiting list for a surgery to remove the bean. A nurse thought this was outrageous, as he just a kid who needed a simple surgery. So he received the surgery in the same week.

Now I missed out all the fun, because I was busy at school updating my friends on this.

*I was just told that, he needn't have the surgery, he was bribed with chocolate to let the doctor retrieve the bean with some simple tools. But he was scared and said it would tickle. Half an hour was wasted trying to get him to agree, he curled up to mum and said he would prefer to keep the red bean in his ear than let the doctor loose on him.

He had one of those injections which made you unconscious and they removed the red bean from his ear.


Of course, the doctors wouldn't just let us forget about this incident, so they returned the red bean to us, the rightful owners in a little glass bottle.
And JB was presented with a sticker that said 'I was as brave as a lion.'

No comments:

Post a Comment