Wednesday 24 August 2011

Amsterdam trip, part 2. Just casually strolling around. And finding supermarkets.

I think we found two BBC channels that weren't the news on the TV, and that was all that was needed to make me and my little brother happy. The hotel room was 'tres chic'. God, I hope I don't have to do a holiday account in French when I go back to school.

Second day. Did we do much?
You bet we didn't.

Another holiday tradition is to find the nearest supermarket, buy loads of 'national delicacies' and breakfast and water and usually beer for my dad. And the supermarket usually becomes our favourite place.
So the plan of the day was to walk.
Walk and 'explore' as much places and see as much as possible.
A lot of places were quite obviously sculpted for tourism, with millions of endless lanes of steak houses. Because Amsterdamdians are meat eaters. Scary.

We saw a lot of clothes shops such as H&M, Superdry and a few others I forgot.
I was also wearing sandals which meant more than occasionaly I would stumble, quickly look around to check no one saw me, then just casualy stroll as normal.

The BEST part was when I found a shop called 'Sissy Boy'. In my little world of warped humour, I found that hilarious. When I pointed that out to my parents, I think they may have thought I was being immature. But nonetheless, they offered to take a picture of it with me.
I politely declined.

We walked on and on, like catholics on a pilgrimage. Looking at this, looking at that.

I am unsure about what you call those people who paint themselves in gold or silver than pose with people for pictures.
But I've seen a few good ones when I was in Belgium but the ones here were shocking.
Not in a good way either, for example....
This is the one I saw in Brussels.
The one in Amsterdam.
They would just dress themselves completely in a gorilla suit like one above. Where's the acting? Where's the statuesque? Where's the skill? Where's the origianlity?
Seriously, I could do that.

For lunch, we went into a classy bakery. We were deliberating on which sandwiched to buy when a piece of ceiling fell on the man behind the counter. We all just looked up in surprise and we all laughed nervously,
in harmony.

We walked.

I stumbled.

We walked.

Deciding to return to the hotel for a short break before coming out for supper, we retraced our route.

I had a photo taken in front of Sissy Boy.





No comments:

Post a Comment