Saturday 24 March 2012

Sometimes it is best to audition.

I looked back at my blog and found 'Sometimes its best not to audition.'

Now I have a counter argument for it...

Last night I got the letter accepting me into 6 Counties Symphony Orchestra, which is about the best thing I could possibly get into.
And between you and me.
I had a lot of luck.

In our county, only 2 percussionists turned up to the auditions, me and some drummer (who's actually good).

So even then I had a pretty high chance of getting in. (There is the orchestra, wind band, brass band and big band)

I guess I can talk about how it went now, even though I was so ashamed of it I thought I would never want to relive it again.

I played a piece on the xylophone. I stumbled.
I played a piece on the snare drum. It went fine. I thought. Until I had my percussion tuition again and realised I got some of the rhythms completely wrong. But its okay, because the auditioner-person doesn't know that.

Ooft. Then the sight reading bit.
Snare drum first...... It went so well that he had to stop me. Stood next to me. Clapped the rhythm out, while tapping his foot, and I had to try again. He obviously thought I was amazing.... 'Good effort.... but never mind....'
Timpani s. I was supposed to tune the timpani s myself. I hopelessly peddled at the peddle in trying to get the right note. The same thing happened with the snare drum again. They ended up clapping the rhythm out. It was insanely obvious to all of us that I couldn't sight read untuned rhythms. 
So, onto the xylophone.I was looking forward to this. I'm good at the xylophone. And sight reading at it too.
However they already saw my inability, and gave me an awfully easy piece. Possibly to make me feel better.
I played it perfectly.

The thing is. I got in. And I should be selling how amazing I am.

But truthfully, there is a lack of percussionists. And they're desperate.


And I am a bit worried.
I played in the county orchestra concert last week. I played very well in the rehearsals. And fell apart a bit in the real thing. Mainly going too fast. But it was fine. I got a 'well done, but there were some hairy moments'.


So, sometimes it is best to audition. Sometimes you get in regardless of your ability/inability.

To read the 'Sometimes its best not to audition'

No comments:

Post a Comment