Friday 9 August 2013

Naples 2013

Our family holiday this year was to Napoli, Italia. A beautiful and extremely hot area of Italy.
A 3 hour car journey to Birmingham airport, quick plane transfer in Munich and we arrived Naples airport all in four whole pieces. And first things first, take off as much clothes as publicly acceptable.
The traffic in Naples (or at least in the city areas) is terrifying. As if it wasn't scary enough just getting a short taxi ride to our hotel, rules of the road hardly apply - it's all dodging and driving where there's a space, we had to cross the road by foot during our stay.
Honestly, it was basically walking straight on through a non stop surge of about 6 rows of mopeds, motorcycles, cars and lorries, and them dodging you.

So after arriving at the hotel, collapsing a little on the beds for a while, I immediately changed into cooler clothes (as in cooler for coping with the weather) and we went to explore the immediate city around our hotel.



It was honestly impossible to avoid vehicles anyway, even in the small alleyways away from the main road were lines of motorcycles and mopeds, with an occasional one zooming from nowhere to somewhere. They really scare me okay, I know they wouldn't drive into me, but its still a probable scenario.





Look at what I mean about the numerous amounts of motorcycles though; we were in a street full of banks, but as soon there was a road off that was possible to park:

So for the first two days (one evening and one day) we 'hung out' in Naples, and ate a lot of pasta and pizza. And seafood. Which is obviously lovely, though after the said first two days, it was unsaid but we were all getting weary of that cuisine.

Although I must say the seafood linguine I had the first night was absolutely delicious.

Mine's the one in the foil. Harvey had the pizza.

I think I'll just put a few photos up of the city we explored the first one and a half day.

 Oh you see these beautiful looking pastries, we bought a few of them back to the hotel for breakfast the next day ( not from this shop). So in the morning I went to pick one up from the table, and it appeared to have chocolate sprinkles. I know this sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I blinked and it appeared to be moving. And no joke, it was covered in tens and maybe a hundred ants. I freaked out so much.





We also experienced another from of transport, a much safer one. A cable car which means we don't have to walk up a ridiculous slope. The carriages themselves are built to fit on a slant, so that when on a seat we don't slide down continuously in one direction.


I couldn't get a photo of the cable car itself, as there was a huge rush to get a seat as soon as it arrived.

It was extremely rowdy in our carriage, and an Italian man started explaining to me about arguments.
The problem I started to have in Italy was everything started to sound Italian.
I watched MTV music in the hotel, and I genuinely thought Justin Timberlake was an Italian singer who looked like him.

So he explained why there was a loud argument, in pretty decent English, but all I heard was Italian, and I nodded politely and smiled, and he asked me if I spoke English.
Then someone left at the next station so I went to sit by the window, and I felt extremely rude as it must have looked like I was creeped out and was avoiding him on purpose.

Before a small lunch (of which there was a slice of pizza) we planned to go see a villa. However we only made the entrance, and after sitting in a shade on a bench for a while, we decided it was far too hot and bright to continue.



We had supper that night in the closest possible restaurant. I ordered ravioli thinking it was a risotto. But it was still nice, just not as nice as my hypothetical risotto.

 This -------------->
is lasagne.

And that is how the first day and a half went.

No comments:

Post a Comment