Wednesday 29 August 2012

Day 1. First day of teaching program.

After managing to wake up at an ungodly hour, we had breakfast at 7 in the morning. Awful time. Too much time to spare when we could be in our cosy beds dreaming of marshmallows.
There was soya bean milk, which didn't have any sugar.
And chinese food.
I am getting lazy, not describing food in detail, it is so unlike me.
Actually, we had a cabbagey dish which was spicy. And buns which you could not tell if they were sweet or savoury. My little pet hate. I want to know if what I eat is going to be sweet or savoury. Imagine biting something that looks like a strawberry and tasting tomato puree instead.
There was also some noodles, which was spicy, and oily.
It shocked me to see that people continued to put chilli oil on the food.

Into the school we all went, I remember the traffic scared me a lot, even though we only had to cross one road, which was a zebra crossing with traffic light. But like I said, no one follows the rules in Zunyi.

We climbed six flights of stairs to the auditorium, where there was a panel of important people (officials from the government and educational board, and the main leaders of the teaching program). They made a few speeches in Mandarin Chinese, and I could not understand a word. I nodded a lot, and amused myself by looking overly interested. My grandad was on the panel, saw me, and gave me knowing wink.
The 'panel' of important people.


All the trainees (120 of them) and the trainers (19 of us) and a few of the officials trampled down the stairs for the beautiful group photo.

(Photo to be inserted later perhaps?)

...
...
...
...

And ridiculously, although this was an English training program, not a fitness one, we had to all seperate into our classrooms... which meant for most of us climbing flights or stairs again.

I have a decision now of making up what happened, saying something believable, or admitting I genuinely don't remember what happened. Not the exact details anyway.

We went for lunch at some point.

And then back to the school.

More speeches and stuff were made.

Ah yes I remember now. There was a pre-movie briefing for 'The Sound of Music', which we were going to watch the next day.

And we went through the rough plot and characters... and then I got my moment!

I read the lyrics, with my 'cut glass' accent. They loved my British accent. I grinned a lot inwardly, my friends in Britain always made fun of my accent. But I guess they do not need to know that.

I had to restrain the urge to burst into song when reading out the lyrics, I had to remind myself, if I did burst into song, they would not join in like High School Musical, but I would look stupid.

Everybody clapped, probably because my Grandpa and some of the other trainers looked enthusiastic at my reading. And the trainees were pretty much forced into listening to me again.


Supper:


We had our lunch and supper in the same place everyday, with the 19 trainers split into two tables. This is a picture of some of us, with Candy trying to kiss my hand.

First day, done.

And much needed sleep again, in our hotel....






No comments:

Post a Comment