Monday 20 August 2012

Day 0. Part 2. Hello Guizhou.

After an hour and a half flight. we arrived in the capital city of Guizhou, a province in China. In the airport, I was reunited with my dear friend, Candy, who had I not met for around 4 years.
She ran up to me, and held my hands, then started talking excitedly in Mandarin Chinese.
Unfortunately, instead of gabbling back excitedly and happily to see her,
"I'm so sorry Candy, I still don't speak Mandarin..."
Which is a pity, ruins the novelty of seeing your good friend again after a long time.
There was also Lily, Candy's mother, who always looks ever so elegant.
Steely, who to me looked a little like a typical uncle you would find in a Japanese cartoon. Even though I don't actually watch much Japanese cartoons at all.
And Shawn, the one who I was told by my grandad was the 'tall and handsome' one. I can't say I disagree.
We took a smallish coach to Zunyi, which meant we had to sit with all our baggage. Which made passing peanuts and cakes around the bus a little harder. It was quite a long journey, over two hours. I tried to be touristy and take photos out of the windows. But I have a bad habit of bringing bad weather with me wherever I go, so of course it was pouring with rain.


The School in Zunyi we were teaching in.

We visited the school we were going to be teaching in for the next two weeks, and to my sarcastic pleasure, our main operational base was to be up six flights of stairs. Our main concern at that moment was dear Diana, but kind Candy led  her gently up all the stairs. I was not as kindhearted, nor as patient to help.
My grandad, looked at all the classrooms, and demanded all the technological equipment were to be in place.
Quite honestly, I missed the meeting in Hong Kong, because I had just got from my flight from Wales, so I didn't actually have a clue what to do. I stood about making conversations. (It gets better, honest, I actually become of some use later on.)
After hanging about (I hung about, adults did stuff), we finally went to supper.
We had food.
And Shawn brought buns and stuff from his hometown.

This is when my memory starts to fade away.

You know I'm tired when I cannot remember what food I had.

Zunyi.
The city was dirty, and busy, sides littered with beggars with deformities. Spitting casually, pushing rudely were the pavement walkers. Shops and buildings were lit up in fancy modern lights, broadcasting loud and unwanted music.
The roads and roundabout were invaded by cars with no concept of laws nor the ways of traffic lights.
At night, the city is lit up to illuminate the blackness of the sky.




No comments:

Post a Comment