Saturday 27 October 2012

Time to say a handful of goodbye's. Day 8 to Day 13,

After the exhausting day climbing the fortress, it was straight back to teaching. The warm sticky weather of Zunyi... and it was in the second week Darwin told me the Apple retail store was fake, and I started seeing the city in a different light. It made sense, being one of the poorer provinces, I still saw some of the teachers in the programme having designer handbags, and in the underground crossings there were stalls selling glitter heels at rates I could buy a packet of sweet here.
We finished watching Mr. Holland's opus, in which I was very touched. I didn't cry. 
But I had this weird feeling where I felt like I needed to cry, cos otherwise all the chemicals would just stifle, so my nose went red. But I didn't cry. But everyone thought I did.
We drank a lot of instant coffee over the second week, I guess it was a placebo effect for me hoping that I would feel more energetic in the afternoon. However, it meant I had to go pee all the time, and the toilets aren't nice. At all.
I actually read an article about China a few weeks ago, I think it was about something journalists writing about China, however they were forbidden from writing about the toilets.
They aren't nice. It's a hole in the ground.

I got 'married' to Darwin, an attempt to demonstrate to the Chinese teachers what a Western wedding was like.
Well, I wish I had the chance to tell them, but it does not involve a girl with paper in her hair, wearing pink socks and brown crocs. It does not include paper rings made last minute, nor a tie made out of paper. It does not include an aisle which is narrow, and two people cannot walk down it arm in arm. It does not include a vicar in a bin bag. It does not include the girl losing her ring, while walking back down the aisle. And does not usually include a guy shouting into a microphone looking for the girl then running away.
Apart from that, it was a very accurate re-enactment of a Western wedding I thought.
(I threw the bouquet, but no one caught it.)

I felt a little like a celebrity in that moment, seeing everyone take photos of us.



The very last day of the teaching programme, was on the Saturday, with a modest closing ceremony in the morning. It involved a representative from each class giving a little speech, which was really inspiring as they gushed their thank you's in (very) accented English. One of them even sang a song.

The cultural activities were truly fun. Everyone had their phones and cameras taking pictures, laughing loudly, and enjoying themselves. 
There was a lot of singing of songs from the Sound of Music. One of the classes even did a large group dance of Do Re Mi, inspired by the Antwerp flash mob. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQLCZOG202k )
It was a lot of fun, though I must admit, I think half the people just joined in dancing randomly. I did.

Some of us teachers performed a Fujianese song, I learnt it so well, I can still sing it now, even though I don't understand the words (I don't speak Fujianese). Our dance was amazing.

(Haha!) I like this snapshot, because Steely (the guy in the checkered shirt) looks like he's about to attack me with his fan.


Candy and I were allowed to choreograph our own little sketch in the middle of the song. This is why I look like I have gone crazy. It is actually part of a genius dance creation.

Somewhere in the midst of all these performances, my class managed to take me to one side, and gave me some stunning gifts. 
My favourite was just a little note they wrote to me, it was a very touching note of gratitude, and made me feel immensely happy that they appreciated the little help I could offer. I, myself, was very grateful to them for letting me be a part of the wonderful experience.











Lily Li performed an extremely cultural piece on her unique flute. (Okay, it's an instrument that I have never seen, but if it were to be classed under anything, I would describe it as a pumpkin flute.)

Then there was the catwalk which I helped organise. I remember being asked to demonstrate how to strut during one of our rehearsals. This is the one time I can say I would have done much better had I been 10. I loved pretending to be a model and strutting up and down my bedroom, and I guess I don't have the air of not-caring to be quite as confident anymore.

This is me 'backstage', with all the 'models'. (in white)

Did I mention I am tall for a Chinese?

And so the morning continued, there were performances after the other. There were plays, and songs, and dancing.....

It was the best way to part ways, after a tough 2 week course.


The day wasn't even over.

No comments:

Post a Comment